Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Changing It Up a Bit...

Lately I've noticed my style has been changing.  Evolving, I suppose.  It's funny how this happens so slowly, over time, and all of a sudden one day you wake up and realize you're a completely different person--stylistically speaking--than you were five or ten years ago.  Does that happen to you??  I'm assuming I'm not the only one, but recently I have realized that my style is starting to make drastic leaps towards a more edgy decor--one that I'm not exactly accustomed to.  I have always been drawn to neutral spaces, antique Persian rugs, classic pieces with a bit of history and character....something like this:


Image via For the Love of a House

Of course, while I still think this aptly named "Reading Room" designed by Joan at For the Love of a House is absolutely to DIE for and I would feel like the luckiest girl in the world to have it in my home, these days I am leaning more towards something like this:


Design by Molly Leutkemeyer for M. Design

Or maybe this.....


India Hicks' Bahamian Living Room

And even this....


Design by Emily Henderson

I am completely 100% head-over-heels totally in love with and obsessed with all things Emily Henderson, by the way.  She's my favorite and praise the Good Lord for the day America voted her the new Design Star and gave her a show on HGTV.  Secrets From a Stylist is the BEST show on television (my husband disagrees, but what does he know?)--except that it's in a tie with Home By Novogratz and Dear Genevieve, but that's another post altogether.  Sorry for the tangent.  While we're on the subject, though, I have decided that design TV is the reason my style is changing so drastically and I am now jonesin' for a mid-century modern hutch for my dining room or a cow hide (faux, of course) rug for my breakfast nook...or bedroom....or office....I'm not picky.  I have decided to change things up a bit (hence the post title) and I am starting in the living room.  Here is a current picture of my living room (minus the brown velvet pillow and the bird knit throw):



(Side note:  notice there's nothing styled on the coffee table?  I have two kids...it's their everything table.  Breakfast, stickers, coloring, workbooks, train set, play-doh, etc.  No fancy design books or tchotchkes can live there...yet.  Sigh.)  

So the changes I plan on making are few and simple.  The mis-matched lamps on either side of the sofa are going to be switched out with more modern swing-arm wall sconces that have yet-to-be-determined.  The table skirt will come off the round table on the left and I think I am going to go bold and spray it a high gloss navy or teal...something great.  I would love to recover the matching pink bergere chairs (barely pictured) but they were free hand-me-downs (thanks, Mom!) and not mine to recover, so I'll be searching for a great Craigslist find or two to replace them (apologies in advance to my poor husband who deals with my furniture obsession on a daily basis) and the giant fabulous rust colored velvet euro shams from Target (steal on clearance for $15 each!) may be switched out for something with stripes, an over-used chevron pattern (overused or not, it's still great) or something of the like.  

Other plans to modernize the home come in the form of wallpaper in the foyer (don't tell my husband), painting the inside of our double front doors a bold color in high gloss and possibly changing out a few light fixtures here and there.....over time.  Slowly but surely, I'm going out with the old and in with the new and promise to keep you all updated with pictures when changes are made!  

Happy Hump Day, Everyone!  xo









1 comment:

  1. love it! i have two huge decorating mistakes that i look at every day. ceiling fans and this HUGE leather recliner that i thought brian would just LOVE and he NEVER sits in(if you ever have a client that is dying for a massive chair, i'll sell it to you! ha!) and light fixtures...if money grew on trees...mine would be changed about every 6 months! love ya!

    ReplyDelete